Application Deadline: March 1*
*External Transfer portal for submitting the required Creative Design Prompt response and design work samples will open later this fall.
Looking for information about this program before applying?
Learn about the undergraduate Design program.
On this page:
- Things to Know Before Applying
- Application Instructions
- Submitting the Creative Design Prompt + Work Samples
- Design Prompt FAQs
Things to Know Before Applying
- Students are admitted for the fall semester only.
- External Transfer applications are for any non-UT student who has taken college-level courses post-high school or after receiving a GED.
- Priority consideration will be given to applicants with a transfer GPA of at least 3.00.
- Applicants must have completed at least 24 hours of transferrable credit before June 1 in order to be considered for admission for the fall.
- All incoming students to majors in the Department of Design must have a laptop computer. Read more about the department’s laptop requirements.
Complete the transfer admissions application to UT Austin, using either the Apply Texas or Coalition Application.
Apply Texas: When prompted in the online application, enter your first-choice school as “College of Fine Arts” and select your major as one of the following:
- B.A. Design (510200)
- B.F.A. Design (509954)
Coalition Application: When prompted in the online application, search “Design” under the Program tab and select your first-choice major as one of the following:
- Design (B.A.)
- Design (B.F.A.)
- Apply Texas: When prompted in the online application, enter your first-choice school as “College of Fine Arts” and select your major as one of the following:
After submitting your UT Austin application, submit your response to the Creative Design Prompt and up to 5 recent examples of your design work.
- Please note: The External Transfer portal to submit your Creative Design Prompt response and required work samples will open later this fall.
- Track the status of your application materials. After you submit your university application, you’ll receive an email that includes your UT EID, allowing you to access the MyStatus website.
Creative Design Prompt + Work Sample Submission
In addition to your required UT Austin application materials, all applicants to the Design major for Fall 2021 must submit a response to the prompt below.
In our design program, we value:
...among other qualities. Choose TWO of the qualities above and make a new creative work that demonstrates how you value or embody both as a budding designer. We want to see both a final work and a glimpse into how and why you made it. In other words: show us behind the scenes.
You may use any format to respond to this prompt: written, visual, audio or otherwise. Think carefully about what you want us to know, and be sure to show that off. Be creative! But be sure to be clear and concise with the information you provide about your creative work. You will be able to upload two files: one with your final work and the other showcasing your behind the scenes process. If submitting video or audio files, they should be no longer than 90 seconds. Files should be less than 5GB (smaller files encouraged for easier upload) in size and are accepted in the following formats:
- Video: .avi, .flv, .m1v, .m2v, .m4v, .mkv, .mov, .mpeg, .mpg, .mp4, .webm, .wmv
- Audio: .aac, .aif, .aiff, .iff, .fla, .m4a, .mpa, .mp3, .ra, .wav, .wma
- Slide: .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .tif, .tiff
- Document: .doc, .docx, .odg, .odp, .odt, .pdf, .ppt, .pptx, .rtf, .wpd
- Link: If your materials are located on YouTube, Vimeo or another online service, you may include the URL link (be sure to set privacy settings to public). Google Drive links will not be accepted.
Additional Work Samples: In addition to the design prompt, transfer applicants must submit up to 5 recent examples of your design work from any medium. Reference the approved file format list above when uploading your work. If you have an online portfolio or other website with your work, you can choose to provide a URL in your transfer resume (no Google Drive links please). However, an online portfolio should not be submitted as one of your work samples. Any audio or video files should be no longer than 90 seconds.
The External Transfer portal to submit your Creative Design Prompt response and required work samples will open later this fall.