What is the mandatory advising requirement?

All undergraduates in the School of Design and Creative Technologies must be advised before they can register for any semester or summer session. If you do not attend mandatory advising during the assigned dates, you will not be able to register for classes for the next semester until the week before it begins. The department’s academic advisors will give details about the mandatory advising period during each long semester.

I want to change a course to Pass/Fail. What do I do?

Contact your academic advisor to discuss the process for changing a course to Pass/Fail.

Where do I claim credit or placement from credit earned in high school?  

You can claim credit or placement on the Learning Sciences website. You can also register to take placement tests.

How can I find out what a certain UT course is like?  

You can review past syllabi, course instructor reviews, and instructor CVs on Access Syllabi.  

How do I know whether or not the classes I just registered for are fulfilling degree requirements?   

Run a degree audit on IDA 2.0 for your specific degree and catalog year. Click on 'future' to include classes you are registered for in the upcoming semester.  These classes should appear under the 'courses' field if they count.  If they do not count, look at the bottom of the audit to see a list of courses that are not counting toward any requirement.  

How do I know if a general education course will count toward my core curriculum requirements?  

All core approved classes are listed online on the UGS website under your catalog year. Online petitions are also an option for the common core or flags.  

How do I know which classes and requirements I still need to fulfill in order to complete my degree?

Look at your degree plan to know all requirements. Look at your degree audit on IDA 2.0 to see what requirements you have already completed and which ones you still lack. If you still have questions or are unclear about any requirement, see your undergraduate advisor.

I plan to take courses at a community college.  How do I know which ones transfer into UT and apply toward my degree?  

First, discuss your plans with your academic advisor. Next, pick up the permission form in the Undergraduate Advising office and submit it to the COFA Student Affairs Office (DFA 1.103) at least 2-3 weeks before you register for the course. This will ensure that you have time to receive a Secure Academic Notice (SAN) of either approval or denial from COFA Student Affairs. The form will require you to do the research and find the courses on the Automated Transfer Equivalency System (ATE). It's a good idea to review Common Transfer Credit Issues. You may also want to review UT residency rules listed on your IDA 2.0 degree audit.  After you complete the transfer work, be sure to have a transcript sent to UT Austin Admissions Office immediately.  

Office of Admissions
The University of Texas at Austin
P.O. Box 8058
Austin, TX 78713-8058

I would like to petition a class not counting how I thought it would count toward my major requirements. What should I do?  

First talk with your academic advisor, preferably well before mandatory advising. Next, visit the COFA Student Affairs Office (DFA 1.103) in person to initiate a substitute petition. Remember, if you are trying to petition the core curriculum, you will have to follow the steps on the UGS petitions page.  

How do I add or drop a class during the add/drop period, and what are the deadlines?  

Review these three links: the Registrar's registration page, the official UT academic calendar and the COFA deadlines link.

It's after the fourth class day of spring or fall, or after the second class day of summer sessions. I have already registered during one of the registration access periods, but I want to late add a class before the midterm deadline. How do I do that?

During the 5th-12th class days of spring or fall or 3rd-4th day of summer, any student adding a course in this department must send the advisor an email containing professor consent to late add a course, in addition to stopping by the office in person to late add a course.  

I'm not completely sure, but I think I should drop a class. What should I do?

Talk with your academic advisor first and they will be able to give you the next steps. For majors in this department, Q drops are started in the COFA Student Affairs office (DFA 1.103).  

I am sick or have personal circumstances that make it wise to withdraw for the semester. What do I do?

Contact your academic advisor to discuss the process.

How do I apply to graduate?

Visit Student Affairs at the College of Fine Arts (DFA 1.103) BEFORE the mid-semester deadline and fill out a graduation application.

What is FERPA: Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act?

Find out more here.

Advising and Registration Resources

University Resources

Back to top